Plastic Garden Benches - Plastic Is Everywhere, Even In The Garden
And Why Not: Recycled, Durable, Cheap
People often say that things made of plastic are cheaper and low quality, and that's often true. But what about plastic garden benches? Should you avoid them or are they a viable option to save cash without losing quality and without making your backyard look cheap? This article will try to give an answer.
Are Plastic Benches Any Good?
The short answer is a big black YES. Although
the quality of the wooden or stone benches is considered higher,
plastic benches have a lot of advantages that shouldn't be neglected:
- They are cheap. Plastic garden benches are almost always the most affordable solution so you gotta love them if you are on budget. Some simple ones can be found even under $50 - good luck finding as cheap wooden bench!
- They require very little maintenance. Cleaning them is easy - just use soap and water. They don't absorb water so they don't rot, rust, warp or corrode. There is not even need of respraying or resurfacing as the color of the plastic is very stable.
- They are pretty comfortable. Stone and steel benches may not be as soft for sitting and easily absorb the outside temperature and sunlight. Unlike them the plastic benches remain always comfortable.
- They are light and easy to move. Many plastic garden benches need no installation - you can just put them on the ground as long as the ground is not soft.
- They can look good. Because plastic is easy to form in different shapes and can have many colors, there is a huge variety of great designs.
Is this enough to convince you that plastic benches are cool for your garden? Don't rush, there are of course some downsides...
Simple but looking good.
Photo by Mikey Swales...fish related tales
Plastic Garden Benches Disadvantages
The main disadvantage of everything made of plastic is ecological: plastic pollutes the environment. At the same time most of it is made of oil and the world is slowly running out of oil. Another unpleasant thing is that
many plastic benches just look cheap
and won't fit well the style of an elegant garden.
Plastic benches are also harder to inspect which means you may end up with a low quality one that will break under the weight of 1-2 people.
The ecological problem however has kind of a solution.
Benches From Recycled Materials
Fortunately most plastic garden benches are made of recycled materials. This helps you save the environment and keep your spending low. Just ask the seller or look in the description of the web store you are buying from and see whether the benches they offer are recycled. Don't think this means lower quality - it doesn't.
How To Install a Plastic Bench
You couldn't ask an easier question. Most plastic benches need no installation. Just get the bench and place it anywhere in the garden. Don't like the place? Move it to another location. These benches are light, easy to move and their legs are stable. The only reason to attach a typical plastic bench in a fixed location is to keep it from strong wind which could turn it over. The main requirement when chosing a plastic bench location is to find a hard ground or pour some concrete under the legs.
What Does It Take To Keep A Plastic Bench In Good Shape?
As already said in the beginning, it doesn't really take much. The most important thing plastic benches need is
regular cleaningwith soap and water. These benches quickly dry up so cleaning won't cause a problem. Many plastic benches need to be kept away of strong sunlight as it can make them lose color.
A plastic bench that has significant cracks should just be cast out - there isn't much you can do for it. This is one of the serious disadvantages - you can fix a broken wooden or metal bench, but not a plastic one.
Regardless of their downsides, plastic benches are very valid option and can save you money and time.